Tuesday 10 January 2006

Incensed...

I swear, this world continually shocks and surprises me. The latest shock to my little delicate system (yeh right) is the latest news coming from the States, regarding how Utah and Washington have basically banned the film Brokeback Mountain because of its 'morally offensive' content. It has gone as far as to have the Conference of Catholic Bishops give it an 'O' rating, which basically labels it as morally offensive. Honestly, have we lost our minds?

I was thinking about it this morning whilst having breakfast. I am happy to be living in a country which is fairly open minded and above all else, holds the philosophy that whilst the things that some people do, is not always met with approval, it is not banned or buried away, never to be seen. I am certain this country houses a number of groups who would have a similar response to the movie, but in the main, I seem to live in a society which tolerates such things. More importantly, there are not whole states boycotting this movie, or the ideals behind it. I hope? What incenses me is that these cinemas and churches are speaking for a group of other people which it represents, or in the case of the cinemas, a group of people who have no choice but to accept the decision and find somewhere else to watch this movie. It reminded me of the movie, Footloose, which was set in a town which seemed to thrive on moral responsibility and good church-going citizens who burnt books and banned dancing.

I'm just a bit annoyed that the beliefs of some seem to dictate and impinge on the rights and beliefs of many, or of others in general. I always thought I was a pretty good person, I wasn't completely morally corrupt, though I am not a saint and that I accepted others as they came to me, without a great deal of judgement or prejudice. I accept others beliefs, and while I may not agree with them, I don't push my beliefs, or lack of, onto them. So, why do I feel like it's not the same ideal on the other side?

I don't want to be told what I can and cannot watch - that era of my life has passed (thanks Mum!). I don't want to be told that I am morally corrupt because I wish to watch a movie such as this one - I'm old enough to judge for myself and I'm certainly not going to jump onto the nearest gay-bandwagon and bat for the other side!

What gets me is that there are other movies which have been made in the past with similar themes, so what makes this movie different? And what was the reaction to those at the time? I can think of movies such as The Birdcage (yes, a comedy!), Angels in America and If These Walls Could Talk. I am sure there are numerous others.

I'm just a bit annoyed that there are factions within our society which have deemed themselves the holy protectors of my virtues and morals, when I did not delegate them and my virtues and morals did not need protecting. Why can't people just leave other people alone to live their lives the way they have seen fit?

No comments: