Tuesday 30 August 2005

Anti social behaviour...

I have always prided myself on being someone who could communicate. In fact, I was always told that I had an above average ability to articulate myself clearly, in any forum and in any format. In other words, I was versatile in my communicative abilities. So, imagine my complete and utter annoyance when I realised today, that I am phone-phobic.

Yep. I've become far too reliant on email and online communication and to be perfectly honest, I'm not comfortable with talking on the phone anymore. I have friends whom live close to me, and obviously others who don't, but I don't talk to them via phone. In fact, I've realised just how much I have avoided it, to the point where I will communicate via sms to arrange to meet up etc. I'm pathetic.

Even at work, I would much rather discuss an issue via email, than on the phone or in person. Though even then, I would prefer the phone than the in=person discussion. So, that's a bit of a contradiction, isn't it?

So, am I just a product of our day and age? Have we all become too reliant on technology, that we are losing our perception of how to communicate? It's just unsociable. I mean, personally I believe that the internet and email, sms etc have really paved the way in communication. But the critical element of this is: If It's Used Properly!

So, I have developed a blog, I communicate and articulate my thoughts through my blog. I share my thoughts and feelings, I observe my surroundings and make comment. I share every element of my life to a world I don't know. That's pretty brave communication. People put their photos online, some are more risque than others, you can research just about anything. It's an infinite.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I am a self diagnosed regressed communicator. I have undone what is probably a pretty sought-after talent - the ability to be comfortable in all forums of communication. Must work on being able to talk on the phone. Must avoid SMS communication.

1 comment:

Di Gallagher said...

Your questions are up!