Tuesday 17 May 2005

It's time to weigh in...

I haven't said much about the Shapelle Corby case. I've said a lot to people, though not ranted or carried on for too long. I think that's because my basic belief is pretty much held by the rest of the world. In short, I think Shapelle is the victim of a bad baggage detection system in the Australian airports. I'm not completely absolving her, because I don't completely know - only that which the media has told us and we all know the media never fully gets it right. I do know this. There has been enough evidence to suggest there should be 'doubt' and in any fair judicial system, where there is doubt, there is usually not a strong enough case. Therefore, the case would have been thrown out by now.

However, Bali is showing itself to again be ridiculous in its judiciary decisions. This is greatly disappointing, but it's only my common belief and I do not possess a law degree, or any other expertise to say this with authority. This is common sense. This is common sense held by a majority. What happens in a majority, people? Nuff said.


Anyways, the reason I am so filed up is my mother. Unfortunately, more and more, she and I do not agree and to end the conversation, I usually have to either accept or back down and let it slide. I hate this, so this diary has become my outlet, of sorts. She gets on the phone and no shit, starts by saying ot me, "Your uncle is heading over to Bali". Then, she starts about Shapelle Corby, how she isn't entirely certain about her anymore. I ask why. "Because I heard today that she had been to Bali 6 times in the last 18 months," she said. I asked her where she got this information from, because I hadn't read it or heard it anywhere. "Oh, I heard it on the radio." I twig a little. "Was it talkback or the news," I ask - dubious, indeed. "Oh, talkback! But it came from the talkback guy's mouth!". Yes, Mum. I asked her how many times my uncle had been to Bali. She got her hackles up and got defensive, "Shapelle doesn't have reason to go over there, she doesn't have much money!". How does she know?

So far as I know and I'm not defending Shapelle, but as far as I know, Bali is cheap. It's popular and easy to travel to. I mean, why does my uncle go? Who knows, but I know he's been there quite a fair bit in the last couple of years. What's the point? I go to the cafe across the road for lunch 2-3 times a week because they make great sandwiches. Maybe Bali makes great sandwiches?

Does anyone think this is a bit rank? I think people are forming their own opinions - some are very misled, like my mother (this is my personal opinion) and some are a little more knowledgeable about it - I'm not professing to be one of them, but I'm certainly not listening to the misconceptions of the likes of talkback radio DJs.

1 comment:

Di Gallagher said...

A lot of people refer to their 'gut instinct' when talking about Shapelle. My gut instinct says she is not guilty. I do not believe that they have enough evidence to prove her guilty or not guilty, so in my mind, she should be fined and perhaps banned from travelling to Bali, and that be it.