Monday 2 May 2005

Disinterested ILs

I have inlaws who I really feel are greatly disinterested and our lives. What has prompted this potential tyrade? Tonight, Glen spoke to them about potentially coming to visit in a couple of weekends, before we get puppy. They had originally brought it up, saying they wanted to visit to see the new place etc. So, when he speaks to them about it, they are all excuses, "We were thinking about going to your great aunt's neice's sister's birthday on that weekend". When I asked Glen when they would be coming, he couldn't tell me because they wouldn't commit to a time, but did say they would just come down for the day. For the day? They live 2 hours from us and won't come and stay for the evening. I don't get them, they frustrate and upset me and Glen is so accepting to the point where I want to thump him!

When I was younger, I dreamed of inheriting inlaws who I would be close to, whom I would have a good relationship with - kinda like psuedo parents. I mean, I grew up without a father etc, a great mother, but no other family. Instead, I inherit inlaws who, for all intense purposes, are lovely people, who are not overly interested, or just too casual for me. I think my mother has come to visit us more times than they have - I kid you not.

Now I must find ways to calm myself, because I'm just so, so, so indignant!

3 comments:

Di Gallagher said...

But then you could have my inlaws. And your life would be so much the better for it...

At least they visit. Unlike my own parents. Never has my mother set foot in my house. Not once.

Anonymous said...

Inlaws are a weird breed, i don't think you can ever really hope to understand the freakiness that is another person's family and the dynamics within! I have two families of inlaws to adjust to...it just bizarre! Just remember that it's never their child's fault and accordingly, it's always your fault or your evil influence that causes any issue that arises!
P.S. It our birthday's soon!! Do you want to do birthday lunchiness??

Hugh said...

At least you have in-laws... :(

Hmmm...from the sounds of things maybe I shouldn't complain. ;)