Tuesday 19 July 2005

Two weeks notice...

Today was one of those days you wish you could put to paper and sell as a comedy film script. I swear, you would have laughed at my dumb luck. I can see myself being played by some nervy woman actress.

You see, this is how my giving notice unfolded. It started last night when reality hit, "Oh crap! I have to give notice! How do I do that? How will she react?!" Then, I tried calm blue oceans relaxation. I think only Dave, Pippa and Ruth know about Calm Blue Oceans and I suspect only Ruth reads my diary. So, laugh Ruth.

Anyway, the CBO didn't work, so I just slept. Today, I woke up, got myself ready for work in a bungled attempt. In the process, forgot my mobile and my work stockings, so had to wear my scooter boots. That was attractive. Got my phone call from my new employer, who asked me to wait by the fax to receive my letter of offer. I promptly went out to the fax, thinking i could save it from anyone who was nearby. However, there is always a however. My boss, who I view as someone never sending faxes, wanted to send a fax. Low and behold, my fax starts coming through. I snatched it up and tried to hide the huge big logo that came out with my new employer's name on it and the big letter of offer sign plastered across it! I am still not sure, even now, as to whether she actually saw it.

So, I got my letter of offer, but was kicking myself the entire time, thinking "You freakin' moron Sam!" All the while, going back to thoughts of yesterday when I had to leave early and walked towards the lift area, only to see her standing out there waiting for the lift. So, I walked past, pretending to be going somewhere else. I got to the somewhere else and thought I had wasted enough time to actually avoid her. I walk towards the lift and there she is! But, this time I think she sees me! So, I panic and walk past again! I go to the toilet, I pee and I come out and the lift lobby is empty. But I am kicking myself because I'm a moron, you see and I probably look like one too!

Ok, I digressed. I gave myself about an hour to calm myself this morning after the letter of offer arrived, so I could think it over and compose my resignation speech. I get up from my desk, walk towards her door and she's on the phone. I get up about ten times after this and she is still bantering on. Problem is, she seems agitated! Great for me! Perfect! Bravo! I'm about to make her day. Meanwhile, my colleagues who know what I am about to do, are snickering about my misfortunes and making funnies like, "Sam! I'm glad it's not me!". Thanks! Finally, after about 45 minutes of my standing up/sitting down exercises, I finally hear her off the phone. I ask for her time and she tells me she keeps getting bad news and she hasn't had a chance to do any real work, so she is stressed. I launched, "I am about to make your day worse," and I tell her. Funnily enough, it's a reasonable conversation. I ask about being let go sooner than the four weeks. She asks me to stay until the end of the current tender - that's next Tuesday. I offer up the Friday.

So, after panicking about being let go sooner than the four weeks, I get to leave in slightly less than two weeks. Fabbo! My final day is Friday, 29 July. Hurrah :) I get a week off in between and then I launch into my new job. Incidentally, I have already received two emails from my new colleague and my boss, welcoming me to the company. It feels good. I hope it is good.

I can't believe I am free. :)

Anyway, moving on. Say a little prayer for a friend of mine who is going through a rough patch with her partner. They've been together for ages and from the sounds of it, it's not going to continue. If they can't sort it out, then she's going to leave and I probably wont see her for ages. I don't know what to say. It kills me to see a friend in trouble and that I can't do anything to change it, or make sense to either of them. So, keep some warm fuzzies for my friend. She's a nice person. Actually, her partner is nice - well, I remember him being nice, I don't know him at all now. No one deserves to go through a break-up. It makes me cherish what I have with Glen. I have to work harder to make sure he and I live out our lives together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello fron italy

Sam said...

Hello Why from Italy.
You're new!!
Hope the weather is nice over there!