Saturday 9 July 2005

Million D$llar Baby

I think it's almost safe to assume that anything Clint Eastwood directs is a certainty to become a hit. My personal favourite has been Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil - maybe largely because it starred two of my favourite actors - John Cusack and Kevin Spacey. But you have to admit, Eastwood really has a thing for directing.

I saw Million Dollar Baby last night, just so awesome. It was a real movie. Ok, so the movie's been out for ages and I've jsut finally got around to viewing it. Sue me! I've been busy. I just couldn't believe how good it was. Totally unexpected.

Anyways, if you thought i was slow, you will probably shake your head in dismay - I expect the first to do this will be Di, but I just finished viewing 28 Days Later. Awesome. I was on tender hooks for most of the way through. It kinda reminded me of Stephen King's The Stand. The end of the world kind of stuff really appeals to me, I'm such an uplifting, fun person, aren't I? *laugh* Anyways, I hear they are planning to make 28 Weeks Later in 2007. Did you know Di?? I wonder how good it's going to be.

We also rented The Secretary. I have never seen it, so hopefully it will make three in a row.

Anyways, in other matters. I'm really relieved to hear most of the people I know in London and those who are known by people i know, are all ok. It's pretty surreal to hear this kind of thing. I still remember not being able to sleep, and getting up to watch some TV with Glen on the night of September 11. We were watching the news and suddenly, there was the second plane. I guess we become desensitised to it, but you never stop getting shocked by it. It sort of feels like it's our time to live in fear and I hate that. I really resent it.

After the London train bombing, the next morning, it shit me to know that the Melbourne train companies were putting on more security to our trains, as were Sydney and Perth. For all I know, the other states were doing the same things. It shit me because Glen had to catch a train and for a split moment, I worried about him. It's not like I dont already worry about not seeing him, some bastard group has to make our lives, which are already vulnerable, even more so. Who really wants that? That just pisses me off that some little twerp over in Iraq, or wherever the fuck they are hiding, can instill that much fear into people like me, who've not doing anything to hurt them. Not all of us voted in the punks who rule the governments. And because of our democracy, we can't get rid of them for years and even then, we're silly enough to re-elect them. We marched against the war, war marched for those poor people who died in New York and Pennsylvania. When Spain fell victim, we rallied again. Bali happened, it cut us to the core and we protested. Our government didnt listen. What else can we do?

Alright, I'm going to try and let go of this. But I think these morons forget that when we're faced with a big brick wall in our way, we always find a way around it. This is no different.

Now, I must pick up my carcass and head off to beddybyes! :)

5 comments:

Hugh said...

I bloggd about 28 Days a few months ago. Souperb!

I am somewhat of an expert on Eastwood. Interesting you'd single out "Midnight..." as one of his better directional pieces. It is...just ignore traditional critics' woeful opinions.

Mark said...

they shot most of 28 days later in Croydon. you can see my old office in some long shots. it's more a documentary than a film..

Di Gallagher said...

I do love me a 28 Days Later and I am looking forward to the next film, but only if it has Cillian in it. Mmmm, Cillian....

Mark said...

they filmed most of it in Crodyon in the height of the summer - the town scenes outside of the london city centre were filmed between 4-6am in the summer where they closed two major roads, then CGI'ed in some extra skyscrapers.

A documentary? If you've been to Croydon you'd think they were all zombies..

Hugh said...

Hang on Mark. First you said it's more of a documentary, now you're saying it's not?