Monday 18 July 2005

Money can't buy me happiness...

Seven-eight months ago, I was frustrated in my job. I loved my boss and a lot of the people I shared office space with, but was frustrated by the lack of support and respect shown to our team, and was sick of hearing the moaning and groanings of my new colleague. Within the space of about a month, I had a new job. I think I have regretted that decision ever since. Not so much regret, but suddenly really re-evaluated my life and the reasons behind wanting to leave. I probably could have ridden it out for a lot longer than I did. In retrospect, my moaning groaning new colleague is now pregnant and leaving in December. If only I knew, if only I pegged her for a mother-type - trust me, no one could have picked that!

Anyways, I jumped ship. It was a fast move for me. Within a week of the first interview, I was offered the job. The speed of this process is largely to blame for my bad decision. I think that if I had more time to process it, I might have had doubts. I didn't get the time and I jumped ship. That was November. It's July now and I've had enough. Sure, I earn shitloads, more than Glen. But, I am not happy, I dislike my boss and I hate the hours. It's funny, Glen and I were marvelling on how, when I was at my previous job, how we had more time to go to the movies than we seem to do now and we have more money now.

Alright, cutting to the chase? I attended my second interview tonight, hoping beyond hope that I might get offered a job, hoping I had dazzled them and come across as someone who had integrity, was smart and mature and would be respected for it and not be taken advantage of. I had hoped that it was all formality, that they would talk remuneration with me, discuss when I could leave my current role and welcome me to the company. I had hoped they would tell me how marvellous my references were and how their gut instincts about me from the first interview were completely backed up by my references. This is what I had hoped. You know what they say about hoping for the things you want?

Don't listen to them. Honestly, they don't have a friggin clue what they are on about when they tell you that hoping doesn't get you anywhere.

I GOT THE JOB! They offered me the job!!! :)

I'm going to earn less than I do currently. About $15K less. But, about $10 more than what I was earning in my previous job, so who cares, right? I think I'll be happy. It's a job which is a little easier than my current position, but it allows me the time I need to recuperate, relax and maybe study.

Now, I have to give notice tomorrow. I hate this part. I dont want the confrontation or drama. I really hope she lets me go sooner than the four weeks, cause that sucks big ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!

That's the best news I've heard in a month - you will be so much happier once you have a life again. Good luck telling your current job you're leaving!

Anonymous said...

Good luck getting permission to leave before the one month notice. They are always a bastard!