Thursday 15 June 2006

First Day Impressions...

I've been completely fine about my new job since I got it. Until last night. I went to bed and I started thinking, and thinking and thinking. Until I got desperate and couldn't sleep, taking a mersyndol because I had tensed my neck so much I had given myself a headache. I'm such a moron.

Anyway, caught the train to work today. I had forgotten why I sometimes liked catching the train - freebies! People were giving out free papers, free food, free tissue samples. Yay! It was opportune because my nose was running :)

Ok, so you wanna hear about work. It was fine. My manager, who is temporarily my manager until Monday was very nice, helped me settle in and conducted my induction, before I was sat down in front of a not-so-nice CRT monitor, blinded by its not-so-brilliance and undertook my self-paced induction learning. Yay for me!

Having said that, my manager took me and the rest of the team out for a morning coffee, where we talked and got to know each other. I discovered that both my colleagues are working as temps. One is Welsh, just passing through waiting for her partner to finish his assignment as a consultant. The other is an older lady, who seems to enjoy her job and is hoping it turns perm. My old colleague used to work with her, so it's a pretty small world. I discovered that my Welsh colleague likes to drink lots of coffee and tea, so we chatted a lot whilst getting our tea fixes, whilst the older lady is a bit of a cat fan, so that was our starting point.

The organisation looks like a good fit for me, the people are friendly and seem to be keen to offer any assistance they can. We are located in a small office, smaller than I have worked before in Melbourne. The head office is in Sydney, so it's nice and non-political, I guess you could say. There's still some GMs floating around, but generally it's pretty quiet. You know what I mean? It's just more relaxed because there's not a need to maintain a corporate spectacle.

So, my day was pretty good. I am knackered and have been spoilt by working 30 minutes drive from home. I think it took me almost an hour to get home tonight via train and then drive. Even though it's a bitch to get to and from work, I wouldnt have it any other way. I am close to all facilities, cafes, Glen and friends. Yay! I feel comfortable in this new job, partly because it's an industry I am very familiar with, I've been there before, I've worked in it before and did it well. It's like coming home. When my manager was going through the process, he kept asking if I was overwhelmed and I kept telling him it was fine that I was very familiar with their processes. I feel like it'll take me no time to get used to it.

Anyway, as I didn't sleep too well last night, I am off to bed with a sore head and neck. I need to not tense up! Grrr.

No comments: