Monday 26 June 2006

All Natural...

I know I said yesterday that I would write a blog entry, but to be honest, I was too knackered and again tonight, I am buggered, but I will write my entry because it's important to me.

I don't think I've really spoken about it for a while, I know I mentioned frustrations with my birth control in the last few months, but the last couple of weeks have really drained me. I've been trialling a certain birth control pill, which hasn't been working for me. About 7-10 days before my period began, I was getting what I termed a rollercoaster headache. One which you would constantly medicate, but would never fully go away. I always felt that the headache was lingering in the background. It was draining and upsetting me. I lost hope of getting rid of it until my period broke.

Anyway, I was told to perservere with this drug for three months, at which point I was told, it would settle down and things might get better. It hasn't got better and after seeing the doctor last week, I made a critical decision. Well, what I hope was a critical decision.

After about 8-10 years of taking the contraceptive pill, I have decided to stop taking it. This is hard for me, as I didn't have any other true options apart from stopping the pill and things like a diaphragm, coils or condoms. So, this is it for me. Condoms. Solely relying on them is scary.

At the same time, I really want to know how my body survives without these synthetic hormones running through my system. I want to know what my body truly does during a cycle. I'm hoping that maybe it will settle down and perhaps in about a year, maybe less, I might be able to explore my options again. Who knows.

Right here, right now. I'm happy with my decision and I feel rather free. I feel hopeful, as it used to be with trepidation, I would approach my period, knowing I'd get these stupid headaches.

It's new territory for me.

1 comment:

Di Gallagher said...

*Waves fist in the air as if chanting for a sporting team*
IUD!
IUD!
IUD!
IUD!
The coil only one, though, not the one with hormones. Ick! Hormones!
Seriously, Sam, give it a go. PLEASE?!