Saturday 25 February 2006

Putty for snot...

We got the keys yesterday afternoon! Yay for us. I left work early to go over with Glen, and we immediately set about ripping those god-awful cork tiles off the loungeroom wall! The house was kinda disgusting actually. There was this rank smell in the loungeroom, which we discovered was the tiles. They ponged! Anyway, by the time we left last night, we had all but a handful of the tiles off the walls. In the process, we discovered that one of the tiles was hiding a huge hole in the wall - not surprising really. Also behind the tiles was a nice plague (?) of mildew, rampant across the wall!

Today, we packed the car full of stuff, including the dog. We drove over to the paint store, waited in line with a store full of angry tradesmen and one very flustered sales person - it was a wholesale store, so it offered trade prices, but it wasn't worth our time to keep waiting, when we needed someone to give us lots of advice. So, we walked across the road to another retail paint store. They were hugely helpful and we walked out of the store less $450!

By the time we got to the house, it was 9.30 - despite the fact that we left home just before 8am! A lot of fluffing around.

So, we spent the day pulling the rest of the tiles off the wall, sanding back the glue, mildew and residue tiles and trying to fill the holes in the wall. At one point, we decided that we needed a better sander, so I sent Glen to Bunnings for an el-cheapo. As I was closing the gate, a gust of wind came up the driveway and instantly, I was locked out. So, I waited for 20 minutes until Glen got home and he climbed in the loungeroom window. Mind you, we have inherited about 20 keys for this house! It's true!

Even though we've hit some snags today, we've made some good progress. Tomorrow, we're going to put the undercoat on and hopefully start painting the walls. God knows if the colours we picked will actually fit, or look good, but at this point, I'll be happy with anything!

Now, I'm going to get a tissue and blow all the dust from my noise! Pleasant imagery there, I know. Sorry, I guess! I'm finding it kind of amusing actually!!

PS: After spending the day at our new place, I'm starting to feel more at home. And it doesn't smell like mildewy-cork! Now...must update load some pictures.

No comments: