Wednesday 30 August 2006

Rebel without a cause...

I ride on the freeway every morning. And every morning, I ride the freeway with great caution and concern for my wellbeing. This morning, I witnessed a fellow rider, whom I am greatly embarassed to call a 'fellow rider' do something very stupid. There are points on the freeway, like all freeways, where cars and other vehicles must merge into another lane. This morning, I saw a car come up beside the bike, ready to merge into the bike's lane. The cyclist, seeing the car, sped up and I witnessed the car merge into his lane. The cyclist tooted the car with great indignation, the car driver nearly had a heart attack and the bike accelerated to be in front of the car.

My point, you ask?

The cyclist saw the car, the sun was very bright and shiny and the car needed to merge. The cyclist should have decelerated (slightly, it wouldn't have taken much) and the car would have comfortably merged. The car made a fatal mistake of assuming the rider would have given him room. The rider decided to make a point and freak the driver out.

Tell me how that makes anyone feel superior? The bike made a point, but what point and to what potential expense? And the driver was taught what lesson? Not to assume? That bike riders are aggressive and try to assert their rights? Not a great lesson, is it?

No comments: