Monday 11 September 2006

PS...

To everyone touched by 9/11, we still remember tonight.

I still remember five years ago, not being able to sleep, so I got up and sat out in the loungeroom with Glen and watched the news. Shortly after, the news broadcast footage showed the first tower on fire, speculation rife over what happened. Newscasters saying a small plane might have hit the building, or perhaps a bomb in the building. As we were watching the burning building, we were horrified to see the second plane smashed into the second tower and although, neither of us were prepared to admit it, but we could see that plane was certainly not a 'small' plane and we could see there was much more to it than just an off-course plane.

So, we watched in horror and my mind went to all the people we knew over in the US. I knew someone due to visit the World Trade Centre that week. I later learned that he changed his plans at the last minute, but was originally due to visit the building that morning. It's amazing how fate deals its cards. Another story of a distant colleague who had cancelled her dental appointment in the building that morning for a later appointment - she never got there - of course, she saw the news before she even left home.

There are many stories. I have watched too much footage, listened to too many horror stories and seen too many heartbreaking photos. Five years later, I am still not immune and every time I see the plane smash into the building, I feel terrible sadness. When I see that poor man fall from the building ('falling man'), I wonder who will miss him. I see all those people covered in dust and wonder whether they took a small piece of someone with them.

The world is forever changed because of terrorism. I don't always agree with the subsequent response to this event, but the one thing that remains constant is the grief and huge sense of loss we all feel on behalf and for those who lost someone. I just wish we could put it behind us, but instead, every day, we are confronted with the aftermath, with the manhunt and bloodshed, all in the name of justice. How can you move on when it's in your face every day? Time hasn't dulled the pain.

No comments: