Monday 24 October 2005

I'm a closet heroin junkie...

They are words I can never say, not even in jest, or seriously for that matter. Honestly, if I wanted to become addicted to a hard core drug, I wouldn't be able to take shooting-up as a permanent practice. It just wouldn't be feasible.

This morning was a dilemma and a half. I awoke to discover my dear Glen had a headache and was suffering. So spent my precious time making sure he was comfortable for his day or sleep and relaxation at home. I didn't have time to drink any water this morning (not that I realised it was important - I found out later, it would be) and I managed to scrape up some apples to bring with me after getting my blood taken. I arrived at the vampires - my acronym for pathology and waited patiently. I felt quite chuffed as there was only one person in front of me and the vampire was going through them like a pack of salts. So, I figured I would be at work within 10 minutes of my start time. Yay!

So, I get there and all is well. The nice lady and I make conversation and then, the trouble begins. She can't find a vein. She pats, bashes and tries to coherse one of those suckers out, but none want to come and play. She asks me that fatal question that I didn't realise there was a 'right' answer for - Did you drink any water this morning? I explain to her why my morning was fucked up and she rushes to the sink and gets me a glass of water. I get an Anatomy 101 lesson for free - it's best to be nicely hydrated for blood taking activities. Der Sam. But in all fairness, it was an unusual morning and if I'd had time to sit and have my morning wake up ritual, I would have loaded up my laptop, turned on the morning breakfast show on the radio and probably had some water. Oh well.

So, she pokes me in the arm and nothing comes out. She checks the other arm, but with no joy. She resorts to the hands - my worst fears! But nothing! Yay veins! you have not sold me out! She turns on the taps in the sink and instructs me to dip my hands in the warm water, for it will entice the little blue guys to come out and play. I wait, I stand over the sink and I get tired of it. Meanwhile, she's left the room and I'm standing there, in what I can only imagine to be the most unflattering position - it felt like my arse was up in the air, my legs were extended as far as they would stretch and my hands were supporting my HUNGRY body! Excellent.

So, ten minutes pass and any notion of getting to work close to on time are dashed. She comes in and we sit back down in the horrible "comfortable" chair - yeh right. She pokes at my hands and whammo! A vein has sold me out! It stung like a fucken rabid mosquito who'd found his first meal after a year exiled in the wilderness! I swear. My hand is bruised and sore now and I'm unimpressed. However, 45 minutes later (yes, I shit you not), I have less blood and probably a huge bill coming my way. But the blood is off being analysed, poked and prodded and maybe by Wednesday, I'll have an answer. To be honest, it would almost be better to have something show up, than nothing. Then it would mean I was just fat. Which means I need more motivation to lose the weight. Hrm.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, but there's nothing for me to be worried about. But considering I've only been truly sick once in my life, this is a little bit of a drama for me. I just dont get sick.

In other news, I will be AWOL this weekend - not that you'd miss me, I never update. But we're visiting the inlaws. It's the appeasement, or the prelude for them - we aren't coming home for Christmas. I want to spend Christmas in my own home, doing my own version of Christmas. It shites me that there's almost an unwritten expectation by many, that just because we're not parents and because we dont have children, we are free agents and can float between others' homes for Christmas. As Nanny Jo would say, It's Unaccccceptable :) However, the inlaws don't realise this yet, but Glen's under instructions to let them know before we arrive on Saturday. Otherwise, it's going to be all kinds of awkward shit that day.

The reason we're not spending Christmas anywhere is because I hope we would have made a deposit on the house, so we'll be poor and hopefully in packing mode! Yay :) How odd, right?

Ok, time for some time out. Ha! I just made myself a huge batch of miso soup with chicken and stacks of chicken! yum yum! I love healthy tasty lunches.

***** EDIT***** What sort of moron am I - chicken and stacks of chicken? Hrm. How about we say, chicken and stacks of vegetable! Fucken tard.

1 comment:

Di Gallagher said...

After all that talk of water, I'm thirsty.