Sunday 16 July 2006

All good things must come to an end...

Glen had to work overtime today, so I made the most of the day by cleaning the house, re-arranging the loungeroom and driving to my favourite dress shop to find some clothes.

On the way to the shops, my heart broke. On the other side of the road laid a cat, obviously been hit by a car. I couldn't stop thinking about him and did a big u-turn to go look at him. For whatever reason, I couldn't make myself get out of the car to pick him up and take him to the side of the road. I noticed some blood coming from his nose and knew that was a pretty good indication that he was dead and I couldn't help him. So, I chickened out and drove to the shops.

I am ashamed.

I made a promise to myself that on the way back from the shops, which was less than an hour round trip for me, that I would pick him up and give him his dignity, rather than run the risk of being run over by a car's tyres. When I was driving back, I was half hoping not to see him. As I came up the hill I was desperately trying to locate him, but it seemed that someone else, with more guts than me, had given him his dignity and taken him away - whether it was his owner or just someone who cared. Either way, he wasn't on the side of the road either.

I came home and was reminded why I copped shit from people about keeping my cats inside, rather than letting them be free in 'their natural state'. My cats are happy and healthy, loved and warm. They have a good life and I want to continue that for them.

So, think twice before you criticise a cat owner who keeps their cats indoors and remember that next time you see a poor cat lying dead on the side of the road - their owner should have cared more and should have taken care of them better.

And let it be known, I am not criticising those who have their cats outside, but at the same time, don't criticise those of us who have made a different choice. It's a basic parenting principle - we all do things differently.

No comments: